Swindon Trustee Network
As a Charity Trustee you may need additional support and information from time to time. The Charity Governance Code is a good place to start. There is lots of information within this link on good governance for your charity.
This short video covers The Essential Trustee Key Points.
The Charity Commission have also complied 5 minute videos covering the following topics available through YouTube:
- Safeguarding for Charities and Trustees
- Charity Purposes and Rules
- Making Decisions as a Charity
- Managing Finance
- Managing Conflicts of Interest
- Reporting – What to send to the Charity Commission
If you would like further information, or clarification, please contact Alana Fiorelli Alana@vas-swindon.org or use the contact form below.
The Role of Trustees
Trustees are unpaid volunteers who have overall control of a charity, ensuring that it continues to serve the cause or people it was set up to support. A charity’s Board of Trustees, and sub-groups, meet regularly to oversee the work of the charity and ensure it is accountable and legally compliant.
- Trustee Guidance – Some useful guidance and quick guides for Trustees can be found on the Charity Commission website under Charity Commission guidance.
- Trustee Diversity
- In an ideal world, Trustee Boards represent the communities served by the charity. The Charity Governance Code has suggestions on building a diverse Trustee Board.
- Trustee Skills Audit – It’s important to have a balanced Trustee Board which can bring a range of skills to a charity. This simple, one page questionnaire can be used to audit your Trustees’ skill sets and identify any gaps in expertise.
Guidance on how to diversity your Charity’s board
Is your organisation’s Trustee Board representative?
Would you like to know how to diversity your Trustee Board?
Getting on Board have released this guidance on how to do exactly this.
There is also lots of useful free resources and a Trustee recruitment guide as well as a place to advertise Trustee vacancies free. Visit their website for further information.
- Helping you improve your board
- How to recruit trustees for you charity
- Open recruitment
- Recruitment process planner
- Audit templates
- plus much more
These guides can be found here https://www.gettingonboard.org/free-resources-for-charitable-bodies
There is also a section containing useful information for aspiring trustees which can be found here: https://www.gettingonboard.org/free-resources-for-aspiring-trustees