Young Carer Support Practitioner (Maternity Cover) at Swindon Carers Centre
Job title: Young Carer Support Practitioner (Maternity Cover)
Reporting to: Head of Service Delivery (YC/PC)
Work base: Sanford House, Sanford Street, Swindon, SN1 1HE
Hours of work: 37 hours per week
Job Purpose: To work as a member of the support work team offering practical and emotional support to young carers (aged 5 – 17) who are responsible for caring for a parent, sibling, or other family member with physical or learning disabilities, long term illness, mental health problems or substance misuse.
Direct reports: None
Salary: £24,480 (FTE)
- To provide information, advice, and support to individual young carers offering practical, emotional support, advocacy and ongoing one to one support as appropriate to the person’s situation, making referrals to appropriate services as needed.
- To receive referrals and requests for service and complete appropriate assessment paperwork.
- To identify current needs of the parent and other family members that impact on the young carers caring responsibilities and refer, as appropriate, to Adult or Children’s services.
- To manage a caseload to ensure that individual young carers are supported appropriately. This will involve undertaking school and home visits as a lone worker.
- To keep up-to-date records of contact with young carers and comply with SCC monitoring and information systems including database input of relevant information on individual young carers.
- Deliver term-time groups that provide opportunities for young carers to have respite, socialise and meet identified outcomes, whilst adhering to the group risk assessment and following internal Safeguarding policies.
- Lead or support during holiday activity sessions, ensuring young carers are safe whilst adhering to the activity risk assessment and following internal Safeguarding policies.
- Record information and feedback before and after each session to ensure any concerns or incidents are addressed promptly.
- To work collaboratively with all Swindon Carers Centre staff, volunteers, and students, exchanging professional knowledge, experience, mutual support, and service development.
- Work alongside external agencies and schools to ensure multi-agency working to highlight and support the needs of young carers.
- To support the Centre in the production of performance reports and other Centre information as required.
- To contribute to promotion of Swindon Carers Centre activities and campaigns.
- To attend meetings, conferences, and training relevant to the role as required and appropriate.
- To understand and commit to equal opportunities and will take an active role in driving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the organisation.
- To role model the Swindon Carers Centre Behaviours Framework at all times.
- To recognise, support, and embrace the Mission and Values of Swindon Carers Centre.
- To have a commitment to your own personal development, a willingness to participate in individual supervision, and to undertake relevant training opportunities.
- Swindon Carers Centre is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults with care and support needs and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Team working is essential to the smooth running of the organisation. It is the nature of the work that at times, responsibilities and tasks may be unpredictable and varied. Where the occasion arises, staff are expected to work in a flexible way. Any additional duties will normally be compatible with regular working and the need to provide service continuity. If the additional responsibility or task becomes a regular or frequent part of the employee’s activities, it will be reviewed to assess whether it should be included in the job description in consultation with the employee.
- A driving license and access to a vehicle, insured for business use, is required for this post.
- Flexible working hours including some evenings may be required.
- Due to the nature of our work with vulnerable individuals an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is required for this post.
- All staff are expected to:
- prepare for and participate in regular supervision sessions and the annual appraisal process as part of their performance management, and to support further personal development and training opportunities,
- carry out their duties and responsibilities with due regard to the policies and procedures of Swindon Carers Centre.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date: Monday 22nd May, by 5pm.
Interviews: Wednesday 7th June 2023.
Please note: Swindon Carers Centre may bring the closing date forward if we receive a high volume of applications.
For an informal discussion regarding this role, please contact them on 01793 531133, and ask to speak to Andrea Macdonald, Deputy Service Delivery Manager (YC/PC).
To be considered for this position, you are required to complete the application form available on their website here www.swindoncarers.org.uk/working-with-us/ and outline how you meet the requirements of the job within the job description and person specification using the supporting information section of the application form. You can complete the online application form on their website or download the form.
Swindon Carers Centre is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check will be required for this post.
Swindon Carers Centre adhere to a policy promoting equality of opportunity. No CV’s. No agencies.
Many of their staff work flexibly in different ways. Please talk to them at interview about the flexibility you need. If you are an unpaid carer, they can discuss how they can help you to balance work and your caring role. They cannot promise to give you exactly what you want, but they do promise not to judge you for asking.
Swindon Carers Centre will retain all unsuccessful applications for 12 months after the date of interview and may contact you during this time regarding future job opportunities. All applications will be destroyed following the 12-month period.