Volunteer at Wilthsire & Berks Canal Trust
We’re embarking on a series of thrilling projects to rejuvenate the WBCT canal in and around Swindon. In 2024, we’re set to restore a 500-meter stretch of canal bank at Rushey Platt. This is a precursor to our ambitious plans to reconnect the WBCT canal through Swindon with the North Wilts Canal. Near the M4, we are also rerouting the WBCT canal south of Swindon to merge with the existing canal in Shrivenham. Additionally, we’re extending the canal at Wichelstowel and offering enlightening boat trips and informational sessions.
Volunteer Opportunities Abound!
- Charity Shop Volunteers: Contribute to our cause by volunteering or donating items at our Swindon center charity shop. Your support here fuels our grand plans for the canal.
- ‘Muddy Boots’ Tasks: Get hands-on with activities like vegetation and litter clearance, repairing and maintaining towpaths, reed pulling, equipment maintenance, and lock maintenance. These outdoor tasks play a crucial role in restoring the canal and enhancing local access to nature.
- Specialist Roles: We welcome Project Managers, Surveyors, Land Agents, and Quantity Surveyors to lend their expertise to our initiatives.
- ‘Clean Shoes’ Roles: Engage in fundraising, boat crewing, visitor guidance, planning, education, project administration, public relations, and community awareness programs. These roles can often be performed remotely, offering flexibility and comfort.
Why Volunteer with Us?
- Flexible Scheduling: Our work parties typically gather on Wednesday mornings and Sundays, with plans to expand to additional days.
- Supportive Environment: We provide essential PPE for ‘Muddy Boots’ work and training for specific equipment. Just bring your enthusiasm, suitable outdoor clothing, and a sturdy pair of boots!
- Legacy Building: Your involvement is more than just volunteer work; it’s a commitment to environmental stewardship and a gift of a healthier, more vibrant natural world to our children and grandchildren.
Ready to Make a Difference?
Contact us to join our next work party, schedule a site visit, or discuss ‘Clean Shoes’ involvement. Together, let’s celebrate the highs, navigate the challenges, and be part of a legacy in the making with the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust.