Mentoring Manager at Youth Adventure Trust
Salary: £27,000 per annum
Location: Home-based with easy access to Swindon and Wiltshire
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Holiday: 25 days per annum, plus public holidays
Application: Application Form
Closing Date: 9am on Wednesday 5th May 2021
We are looking for a motivated and dynamic individual to support the delivery and expansion of our Mentoring and Bursary Schemes. You will be involved in all aspects of the schemes, ensuring they run effectively and meet the identified needs and requirements. You will need experience of direct work with young people, as well as experience working with or managing volunteers.
This role includes responsibility for:
- Supporting the young people’s transition from the main programme into the Mentoring Scheme including attending their final activity days, and acting as a key point of contact for young people and their parents.
- Recruiting volunteer mentors including fulfilling our commitment to Safer Recruitment.
- Organising, preparing and information sharing with volunteers to ensure they are ready to fulfil their role.
- Facilitating the matching process to establish the best fit between young people and mentors.
- Acting as a key point of contact and support for volunteers throughout their time as a mentor, including being available on-call during session times which may sometimes occur in the evening or at weekends.
- Working in partnership with the young people’s families, schools and other organisations to maximise the benefits for the young people involved.
- Creating and delivering training opportunities for new and existing mentors.
- Administrating all aspects of a volunteer and young person’s involvement with the Mentoring Scheme, including completing the relevant checks and references, record keeping and database maintenance.
- Facilitating young people’s access to the Bursary Scheme including promoting the scheme, assessing applications, identifying and acquiring items and requesting follow up feedback.
- Supporting the effective monitoring of the schemes and measurement of young people’s outcomes.
To be up to the challenge you will need excellent understanding and a proven track record of working with vulnerable young people. You will need comprehensive knowledge of volunteering, and demonstrable skills at building effective relationships with volunteers, parents/carers, and professional organisations. You will need strong engagement skills to effectively support both the young people and volunteer mentors. You’ll be an excellent communicator, a strong team player and an exemplary role model.
We need someone with:
- Experience of direct work with vulnerable young people, ideally within a mentoring context.
- Experience of recruiting, supporting and working with volunteers.
- Experience of working in partnership with parents/carers and other professionals.
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A positive attitude, commitment and enthusiasm for the work of the Youth Adventure Trust.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work on their own initiative to plan and manage their workload. Excellent time management and prioritising skills.
- Excellent administrative skills and a methodical and thorough approach.
- The ability to perform well and problem solve in high-stress and changing situations. A flexible and dynamic approach.
- Strong IT skills including experience of MS Office, databases, social media and other digital platforms.
- The ability to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends as required, is essential – if you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
- A full clean driving licence and access to your own vehicle is required.
The Youth Adventure Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all employees to share this commitment. The suitability of all prospective employees will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment. Therefore;
- a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Disclosure will be required for this post;
- we will seek references on shortlisted candidates before interview, and may approach previous employers for information to verify particular experience or qualifications;
- if the applicant is shortlisted, any relevant issues arising from his or her references or application will be taken up at interview;
- if the applicant is currently working with children, on either a paid or voluntary basis, his or her current employer will be asked about disciplinary offences relating to children, including any in which the penalty is “time expired” (e.g. where a warning could no longer be taken into account in any new disciplinary hearing), and whether the applicant has been the subject of any child protection concerns, and if so, the outcome of any enquiry or disciplinary procedure. If the applicant is not currently working with children but has done so in the past, then contact will be made with that employer who will be asked about these issues; and
- applicants should note that providing false information is an offence and could result in the application being rejected, or dismissal if the applicant has been selected, and possible referral to the police.
How to Apply
Please read the full role description and complete the Application Form, available to download below, which includes the opportunity to outline why you think you are suitable for this role, making specific reference to the Role and Candidate descriptions above.
The Application Form should be returned to:-
Tessa Woodrow, Director of Programmes & Development
Youth Adventure Trust, Windmill Hill Business Park, Whitehill Way, Swindon, SN5 6QR
Applications Closing Date: Wednesday 5th May 2021 at 9am
Interview Date: Monday 10th May 2021
A second interview will be held for selected candidates on Saturday 15th May 2021 in Wiltshire.
Unfortunately we are unable to reimburse interview expenditure incurred.
The Youth Adventure Trust sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Data Protection Statement
Equal Opportunities and Diversity Statement
Youth Adventure Trust is an equal opportunities employer, values diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
Please download the following documents:
If you have any questions about your application please contact Becky Brown, Senior Mentoring Manager, on email@example.com or 07592 664679.