Swindon Housing Action Campaign Launch Meeting
February 18th will see the launch meeting of a new housing campaign in Swindon. Swindon Housing Action Campaign is being launched to address the housing crisis in Swindon.
- Council housing is being sold off and not replaced;
- The gulf between house prices and earnings is increasing;
- The rapidly growing private rental sector is dominated by ‘buy to let’ landlords, short-term contracts, high rents and much poor quality housing.
The town has seen a huge increase in the private rented sector from less than 6,000 in 2001 to more than 16,000 today. The shortage of Council housing and genuinely affordable homes for rent in the private sector has created a ‘sellers market’ in which private landlords have been able to drive up rents as potential tenants compete for properties. This pressure is reflected by the fact that in the last year the Council has come across between 10-15 cases of landlords renting out garages for people to live in.
- Defend existing Council housing and campaign for new council house building;
- Campaign against exploitative private sector landlords for regulation of the sector, decent living conditions, more secure tenancy and cheaper rents;
- Campaign for ‘development’ which provides homes for need rather than speculative building and profiteering.
The meeting will be held on February 18th at 7 p.m. At the Broadgreen Centre in Salisbury St, SN1 2AN.
SHAC can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07786 394593.